seattle update



Explaining my experience in Seattle has been a challenge and a half. For many of you, my reversion to stone-age communication methods during this time might create the story that I don't care about keeping in touch. Quite honestly, it is much the opposite. 

I have only found it very difficult to communicate what I've been engaged with here, because all of it is tied extensively to relationship. Every time I sit down to write, my mind is flooded with faces of people I've come to know as acquaintances, friends, and family. 

C living on the streets - battling disease
M living in America for years - still wrestling with elementary english but lighting up every room with her laughter and sneaky humor 
K who sits on the corner and asks me if I'll marry him every time I see him
A who welcomes me into her family with a warm embrace and three kisses 
T who teaches me more about selfless service than anyone I know
N whose eyes sparkle with eagerness to learn
G living on the streets - with a degree - battling addiction - battling being a square peg 
E who sleeps better in a doorway than a shelter because his PTSD is too severe
O who tells me of his dreams to be soccer coach 
E whose eyes fill with tears any time he talks about something he loves
F who took the time to bless me with her encouraging words when she had only just met me

...so many others...


I have had the privilege of being given a card written with nail polish inside a tent

I have had the privilege of being blessed and encouraged by those whose material possessions could fit in a single suitcase. 

I have had the privilege of smuggling scrumptious baked goods out of the ESL classroom to pretend I've eaten them. 

The afghani women I have come to know LOVE feeding people, and I am allergic to wheat...which makes things pretty complicated to try to explain through a language barrier when they fill my hands with fresh goodies during the class break. 

I have had a lot of conversations that go something like this...
me: "Tashakor! Thank you! I cannot eat - it will make me sick."
her: "You don't want?"
me: "I can't eat it - it will make me sick."
her: "Oh." Spoken with a disappointed expression,  "You don't like." 
me: "......" 

Needless to say, I have done my fair share of smuggling (and eating depending on how observant the giver is) things I am allergic to in these months and it has been a delight. 

I have had the privilege of being deeply welcomed into the stories of others. 

I have had the privilege of knowing someone who bravely moved into transitional housing.

I have been given food by someone who received a hot meal from a church moments before. 

I have been welcomed into the homes, trials, and triumphs of many. 


The bravery and vulnerability of these new friends has taught me so much and I hope to always be a student of their resilience and generosity. 

It's messy, it's hard, but it's such a joyful and peaceful gift to love and be loved by these dear ones. 

God's peace is so present here, even in the moments that would normally send me burrowing away from reality. I am so thankful. 


If you would like to know more about the specifics of what I am engaged in here, I welcome your emails/letters/phone calls. Please feel free to email me (kaitidew@gmail.com) for my other contact information. Please keep me and my housemates in your prayers. I'd love to know how I can be praying for you as well!

XOXO



PS. Sometimes, translators are sneaky. 








Comments

Popular Posts