God gives us more than we can handle



I have often heard people say that God won’t ever give us more than we can handle. The more I think about this, the more I realize that there isn’t a whole lot of truth in that statement.

If God never gave us more than we could handle, then why do so many verses in the Bible ask God to BE our strength? If we are never given more than we can handle, then why was Philippians 4:13 written? That verse boldly proclaims, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me…” not, “I can do all things because God will never give me more than I can handle”.

The more I read the Bible, the more I realize that the people God used to do HUMONGOUS things for the kingdom were so often the most overlooked, weak, unimportant, non-hero-like folks around. The difference between those used for His greatness, and those not seemed to be the condition of their heart. Despite their various weaknesses, they submitted to what God was asking them to do.

They said…

“Here am I!”
“Let it be unto me as You have said!”
“Lord, send me!”

They built arks and led Israel out of captivity and became queen to save an entire nation and parted the Red Sea and spoke to the violent people of Nineveh and shared the gospel with those they had persecuted and crossed an entire desert and had faith to follow their mother-in-law to a new land and gave birth to the SON OF GOD.

And I think…was carrying the Son of the Maker of the universe in her womb more than Mary could handle?

Of course it was.

The point, I believe, is that these people – these heroes and heroines of the Bible if you will – were most certainly given more than they could handle. But with faith and trust, they stepped forward in obedience to be part of wild adventures that God supplied the strength for.

Granted, some did argue – and loudly. Moses said that he couldn’t speak with intelligence, Jonah actually ran away from God by sailing in the opposite direction of Nineveh, Abraham laughed at God’s promise, Saul had to be blinded first to become Paul. 

But through it all, God pursued their hearts, and when they submitted to trusting His sovereign plans – HIS eternal perspective – He supplied them with the strength and circumstance to endure that which was far more than they could ever get through on their own. 

I argue with God and the people who love me all the time...
"I don't need your help."
"I can do this on my own."
"Why do you want to do it THAT way?"
"WHY DON'T YOU LIKE MY IDEA?" 

Whatever your beliefs, I think we can perhaps all agree that it is arrogant to believe we can accomplish much on our own - or at least well while still maintaining sanity. It is not weakness to admit that we are incapable of carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders. Quite the contrary. 

What a beautiful gift to know that we don't have to handle what we cannot. 

God handles it for us <3







Comments

Popular Posts