dear girl




In honor of the 
{International Day of the Girl}

Here are some words that I wrote this summer
after working with middle-school aged girls 
who reminded me a lot of myself at that age

and I just hope they KNOW that they're 
just fine 
just the way they are <3



Dear Girl, 
I know that life isn't always 
easy right now

I know that this feeling 
of swirling in emotions 
of learning to love a brain and body
that is changing and growing 
can be confusing 
and frankly tiring at times

I know that the world is 
telling you to be something 
successful 
something 
gorgeous 
something 
perfectly photoshopped 
graceful and ladylike
but adventurous and strong 
but not TOO strong 
because maybe that means you're 
not a girl at all

I know that the world is 
telling you to speak your mind 
but not to be divisive 
tell people how you feel
but not to be emotional 
be athletic 
but for goodness sake 
don't "throw like a girl"
be healthy 
but measure health 
by the thickness of your thighs

I know that the world is 
telling you that 
makeup
big breasts
flat bellies 
tight butts 
thigh gaps
clear skin 
the whitest teeth
long/thick hair
and the latest shoes 
and fashion
and social media accounts
will make you more 
valuable 
desirable 
beautiful
wanted 

Oh, my love. 

do you know what? 
I was once a middle school girl 
I cried once because I had a zit 
on my forehead in public
I cried because I burned my lunch 
I cried many times without any idea
of why I was crying at all 

I remember the growing pains
of my body
of my brain 
of my bones

I remember being embarrassed
of my skin 
of my braces
of my frizzy hair
of my period starting
of the music I liked to listen to
of how I felt when a boy smiled at me
of...
pretty much everything

I remember 
feeling sad 
and glad
and scared 
and excited
and anxious 
all at once
and feeling lost
when I tried to 
explain that to anybody 
besides my Mum

Oh, my love. 

That's no truth to live in. 

The truth is, 

those things 

DO NOT 

DEFINE YOU. 

My dear, 
beauty is in 
kindness
courage 
in scraped knees
in hair blown wild by the wind 
in no hair at all 

beauty is in
compassion
in strength 
in thinking of someone else
first
skin that is changing 
scars 
moles
freckles
crooked teeth 
stubby toes
birth marks


beauty is in 
what makes you 
YOU 

because if we all 
looked the same
talked the same 
dressed the same
nothing would be unique 
or different 
or beautiful
now would it?

And when you 
let the world see you 
exactly how you are 
when you let your laughter 
your wisdom 
and your unstoppable brain 
free
you are giving the world 
a gift 
because no one 
has ever heard anyone
laugh like you 
learned from anyone who 
explores like you 
or seen the world through 
your beautiful 
curious 
eyes

Dear girl, 
I know that life isn't always 
easy right now

truth is?

It will get better. 

truth is?

You are brilliant
you are brave
and you are beautiful 

no matter what 
the world says 
















Comments

  1. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH MY DEAR! You're amazing words throughout this blog fill my heart with love and joy and when I read your words I am transported back time when we laughed, cried, talked about how great God is, and just sat in a warm embrace. God is using you in such amazing ways and I know you are making His world a better place, because you made my world better! I pray for you daily and that you never cease to find your joy, peace, and worth in God alone! You are my role model love and the world is so blessed to have a beautiful daughter of God like you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts